Art

When I was younger, I thought that I was useless. I wasn't smart, artistic or athletic. Neither did I have a beautiful voice or the ability to play a musical instrument. I would always feel upset, looking at others with these kind of skills.

My main problem was that I was an impatient person. I would get bored when I was sewing something, and then my stitches would be crooked. I have tried learning how to play musical instruments, such as the ukulele and flute, but I would give up, fed up with the lack of progress. 

Whenever I tried to learn a new skill, I would most likely stop trying out of impatience, as I wanted to learn the skill as fast as possible.

It was the same story whenever I tried drawing or colouring. I would get bored while trying to draw a cup or when I was trying to finish colouring a complicated design. The only thing that I was good at artistically, was matching colours. I eventually gave up trying to learn such things, and stuck to reading storybooks.

One day, mummy told me that she would be teaching me how to paint. I wasn't thrilled. I thought that this would be another thing that I would fail at and give up on. Imagine my surprise when I enjoyed painting.

It felt good, using various colours to create a coherent picture. It was challenging and fun, trying to turn a blob of colours into something nice. I made mistakes, but for once, this was something I wanted to pursue.

Mummy helped me a lot. She taught me what she knew about watercolour techniques, and we also learned new techniques from online videos. When I was ready, she introduced me to the mixed media art form: creating artwork using painting and pasting techniques. 

Mixed media was even more fun for me. I enjoyed painting something, before sticking paper on it. It gave my art a different look, and it also encouraged me to try new ideas.

I did this!
Through painting and mixed media, I learned patience. I learned that not rushing to finish something is good, as it gives me time to think of better ideas. Ideas that I won't regret once I do it.

I may not be smart or athletic. I may not be musically inclined. However, I have learned that being good at something is not important. It's more important for me to enjoy what I'm doing and learn from it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

YMCA Street Feeding- Day 3

Temptations

Malaysian Studies