Benny

Today, I'm going to blog about Benny, my dog.

Here'a a picture!

I'm not exactly sure how old he is, but I think he is roughly 4 years old. We brought him back home with us from Ipoh, during one of our road trips. He was so cute as a puppy! He was furry and small.
The first few days were exciting for us. There were things that we had to do to help him get used to a new environment. We would walk him around our home, and play with him. Those were the fun parts.

The not so fun part? We had to potty train him. This meant there were hourly visits to his "toilet" (a tray in the toilet), where we had to try our best to get him to pee. It was not fun. We could spend ten minutes saying the same thing over and over again: Benny pee! It was frustrating, as we couldn't seem to potty train him. This made it even more frustrating when we had to clean up his "accidents" around the house.

Benny had to sleep in a cage, as he was still too young to sleep with us. He was so small, that my sister and I were afraid that we would crush him if he slept with us. So, we would leave him in the cage, until I woke up at 4 in the morning to feed him.

It was so scary, those first few nights. Since he was still afraid of us, he would just sit in his cage in the dark, staring at us until we went into our rooms. I'm still not sure whether he slept during those first few nights.

Slowly, he started to trust us. He would start coming up to us, demanding play time and head rubs. He would take naps and lie down next to us. He would also start whining when we all went to bed, leaving in his cage. It was nice, seeing him starting to like us.

After awhile, my sister and I went for a camp. It was a ten days camp, so my parents were going to look after Benny. By then, he had gotten fat, but he was a happy and playful puppy. To be honest, I did miss Benny a little bit during the camp, but I was happy that I didn't have to clean up after him.

Ten days later, we came home to a surprise. He was thinner, but underweight, and he was potty trained! No more "accidents" to clean up! I think that was also when he started sleeping with us, which was also fun.

Typing this out now makes me feel so nostalgic. It was a tiring but interesting experience to take care of a pet. It was and still is a big responsibility. We have to remember to feed him, ensure he is healthy and take him to the vet when there's something wrong with him.

He is a happy and healthy dog now, with his own weird habits. He is always sad when one of us has to leave the house. He is loyal, despite us not spending much time playing with him.

He may still have "accidents" sometimes, and it is a pain to give him a bath. However, I have learnt how to take care of another living being, and it is not something to be taken lightly.

So, I don't regret getting Benny, but I doubt that I will get another pet again.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

YMCA Street Feeding- Day 3

Temptations

Malaysian Studies